Your browser is outdated!
To ensure you have the best experience and security possible, update your browser. Update now
Lecturer in Media Production, Employability and Critical theory.
Freelance Digital Designer/Producer and Doctoral Candidate in Media and Communications.
Research interests cover a range of topics related to digital media and visual culture.
Nottingham Trent University
Since August 2016
- Lead modules, lectures, seminars and workshops in Media Production, Employability and contemporary media theory and critical studies.
- Acting Module Leader for undergraduate level six module, 'Media Practice in the Workplace'.
- Dissertation Supervisor for BA and BAM dissertaions.
- Academic Advisor for Personal Tutor Group. Provide academic and pastoral support to students through their academic journey at NTU.
De Montfort University
Since August 2018
- Module Leader for Foundation Media, Image Analysis and Production and Web Content and Management.
- A new course, I designed the syllabus for two modules.
University of Sheffield
to September 2019
- External supervision of MA Dissertation students
- Supervision of both Practice-based and Traditional.
Since January 2002
- Operate a freelance business that provides photography, digital imagery, web design, web usability, web content, video production and technology for live event support.
- IASTE Journeyman. Founded and run in Los Angeles for 8 years.
- Creative images and video work has been exhibited and broadcast internationally.
University of Hull/ Walk Free
to July 2014
- Perform advanced web searches for instances of modern slavery for Walk Free Project on Global Slavery Index.
University of Hull, School of Art and New Media
to July 2013
- Mentor students to produce digital art and video productions within a range of social and artistic contexts that were critically and analytically rigorous.
to May 2001
- Managed and represented the creative department in discussions of front-end design and structure. Oversaw 4 employees.
- Developed taxonomy and usability design for e-commerce shopping site StoreRunner.com, it's partner sites and micro-sites.
- Researched and initiated usability tests for StoreRunner.com, it's partner sites and micro-sites.
- Development of photography, graphics and animated flash corporate website.
- Insured optimised fast loading graphics.
Washington University, School of Art
to March 2000
- Oversaw direction of technology, purchases and improvements, as well as scheduling and training of technical staff of multi-campus digital media facility devoted to creative pursuits. Provided instruction for students, faculty and staff in computer and digital media laboratories devoted exclusively to digital art making and creative endeavours for the Sam Fox School of Art and interdisciplinary collaborations within University and community.
- Routh, Patricia. 'The Politics of Transformation: Selfie Production of the Visually Marginalised' in Karatzogianni, A., Nguyen, D. and Serafinelli, E. (eds) The Digital Transformation of the Public Sphere: Conflict, Migration, Crisis and Culture in Digital Networks, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Routh, Patricia. A poststructuralist review of selfies: Moving beyond heteronormative visual rhetoric. for(e)dialogue, [S.l.], v. 1, n. 1, p. 4-14, mar. 2016. ISSN 2398-0532.
- The Politics of Transformation: Selfie Performativity Beyond of the Hegemonic Visual Rhetoric', PhD Seminar 2015, University of Leicester, Department of Media and Communication, Bankfield House.
- Gender Performativity and Selfie Creation: Beyond the Binaries of Heteronormative Visual Rhetoric, 2015, NDiMR New Directions in Research, University Of Leicester, Department of Media and Communication.
- November 26th, 2014 - Gendering Happiness: The Power of Pleasure. "Affect and Identity in Selfie Production". University of Hull, WISE
- November 13 - 15, 2014 - Material Matters in Times of Crisis Capitalism, "Affect and Memory in Selfie Production". Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen
- January, 16th 2014 - The Curated Ego: "What Makes a Good Selfie? " National Portrait Gallery, London.
- April11-12 2013-Conflict and Dialogue in Transnational and Digital Diaspora Networks, New Aesthetic Nostalgia as a Bridge to the Present.". University of Hull, WISE
- November 7, 2012 - The Media & Memory Research Initiative (MaMRI) "New Aesthetic Nostalgia as a Bridge to the Present.".- Department of Digital Media, University of Hull, SANM
- June 12, 2018 Music, Technology & Innovation/Performance DMU, Postgraduate Concert, "Golden Turtle" video to live performance of Golden Turtle sound composition by Susanne Grunewald.
- March 22, 2017 Music, Technology & Innovation/Performance DMU, Postgraduate Concert, "Golden Turtle" video to live performance of Golden Turtle sound composition by Susanne Grunewald.
- * 2009-2016 – Photographic work featured regularly within Paraphilia Magazine. USA
- January 2014, The Curated Ego: What Makes a Good Selfie? "The Personality Surgeon" images screened at National Portrait Gallery, London.
- August 3 - August 29, Photography & Video Backdrops for Open Wide Tour, Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- April 6th, 2013 Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, LACDA Ninth Anniversary Exhibit Los Angeles, California Featured five digital prints.
- March 2013- the video, "End Begins", broadcast on FRANK MOORE'S UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES on Berkeley TV (BTV), Ch. 28. Berkeley, California, USA
- August 2012- the video, "Torch me up,with the olympics", broadcast on FRANK MOORE'S UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES on Berkeley TV (BTV), Ch. 28. Berkeley, California, USA
- March 2012 -LACDA, Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, New Aesthetic Prints.
- December -2011, Mobile phone photography as featured illustrations for Michael Butterworth's, "Christmas Story".
- December 2011- the video, "End Begins", broadcast on FRANK MOORE'S UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES on Berkeley TV (BTV), Ch. 28. Berkeley, California, USA
- September, 2011, videos shown at Dilston Grove and Matt's Gallery , London UK . ”Something just behind your back”, ”Phil the Messenger”, “ ’and Inhabited the Spaces’ “, and “Adventures in the House of Memory”.
- April 2011 - the video, "Gangster State", will broadcast on FRANK MOORE'S UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES on Berkeley TV (BTV), Ch. 28. Berkeley, California, USA
- March 2011- the video, "Jimmy Carter 1979", broadcast 4 times on FRANK MOORE'S UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES on Berkeley TV (BTV), Ch. 28. Berkeley, California, USA
- October 1, 2010 - October, 2011, the videos, "The Edge of my World", "Persephone", "Alveolus", "The Ancient Old Ones", "Mysterium Tremendum", "Lusion Plain", "Skin", "Normal", "Funky Bacon", and " Swimming Upside Down" screened on loop at the Plaza Eventi hotel in NYC, giant outdoor screen. New York , New York, USA
- * September, 2010, videos shown at Dilston Grove and Matt's Gallery , ”Something just behind your back”, ”Phil the Messenger”, “ ’and Inhabited the Spaces’ “, and “Adventures in the House of Memory”. London UK
- * July 8th – 24th, 2010 – LACDA, Los Angeles Center for Digital Art; “FEEDBACK”; shown “Phil the Messenger”. Los Angeles, California, USA
- * March 13th, 2010, “Brixton’s Smallest Cinema”; screened ”Beelzebub’s Breath “.Brixton UK.
- * January, 2010 , On-line , OXHOUSE, An online alphabet supported by The Arts Council of England; streamed ”la la la la la”. On-line
- * August, 2009, Featured Photographer of the month for Zoom Street Magazine. San DIego, California, USA
- * September, 2008 MOCA, The Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art. Screened, “Persephone”. Los Angeles, California, USA.
University of Leicester
to December 2021
PhD Topic: The Creative Practice of Selfies: Playful Expression and Subversion in Digital Culture.
University of Hull
to June 2014
School of Art and New Media, University of Hull
to September 2010
Kansas City Art Institute
to August 1985
Sculpture, Experimental Media Arts
Current Interests; Media Studies, Visual Culture, Digital media cultures; theories of posthumanism, identity, race, gender performativity, cultural capital, aesthetics and class, play and subversion. Relational Aesthetics, Experimental narratives; and the relationship between humans and technology, surveillance, and the use of media as a tool of empowerment against censorship and political repression.
Experienced in semantic analysis of social and cultural constructs.
Researched in areas of memory and identity surrounding mobile digital imaging, new aesthetic, nostalgia, the machine gaze, the Uncanny Valley.
Familiar with quantitative and qualitative visual research methods and analysis.
Visual design and narrative.
Image and Web Content
User Interaction Design.
Branding, Graphic Design
Sonic synced motion graphics
Extremely proficient with non-linear and computerised video editing systems, including Apple Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Premiere.
Very creative, able to conceptualise innovative ideas and bring into fruition.
Video work has been recognised and screened Internationally.
Meet all deadlines and excellent interpersonal dynamics.
Have equipment and software needed.
Can work long and flexible hours.
Advanced knowlege of compression techniques and algorithms.
High competence with digital audio, image and video formats and applications.
Highly skilled at developing and managing social media strategies.
Understand the implications of psychological and sociological influences on web design.
Awareness of the factors involved in Multimedia systems and the implications of multimedia formats, and types.
Can perform web design and development, adhering to W3C web standards and can critically comment on graphic design and standards based web development.
In-depth knowledge of new & emerging modes of photographic production, graphic file types, file sizes, preparing files for all levels of resolution and postproduction distribution and consumption.
Extremely knowledgeable of new and emerging post-production digital workflow.
Reliable interpersonal skills in working with clients, advertisers, publishing agencies, and designers.
Meet all deadlines on time, very fast post production workflow.
Patient, comforting and strong ability to place novice clients at ease.
Exercise originality and have advanced technical proficiency with professional DSLR equipment.
Exceptional talent for capturing images that visualize a story or require a visual narrative of an event.
Video art has been screened internationally and have received high artistic accolades.
Solid knowledge of designing storyboards and screen decks.
Extensive experience with motion graphics, typography and design.
Advanced proficiency in Adobe After Effects, Apple Motion and Adobe Flash.
Excellent interpersonal skills in working with clients, advertisers, publishing agencies, and designers.
In-depth knowledge of graphic file types, file sizes, resolution and broadcast colour.
Meet all deadlines on time, very fast post production workflow.
In possession of equipment and software needed to produce work.